Sunday, January 29, 2012

worth repeating

This is so crazy.  About 3 or 4 years ago, a precious young friend of mine asked me to write some advice for her about marriage.  I asked her if she kept a copy of my answer and she sent this to me.  I haven't changed much in the way that I felt about these Biblical principals.  They have been my standard for many years. These words bear repeating.  Not because I said them but because this is God's word.
(v.11-12) Being a Trustworthy wife
I am thinking of ways that Mark can trust me.
a) financially. A wise wife will spend according to their income. Many a wife will coax her husband to spend more than what they can afford so she will have nice clothes, car, house. Our husbands depend on us to have a contentment in all things, just like the apostle Paul. This also makes our husbands feel like we respect his job and his income. Never let your husband feel like he does not make enough to support you in the way you want to live. I can talk about that one awhile.

b)gossip. Never talk about your husband's weakness to anyone else, unless it is a professional couseling situation. Especially do not talk to your parents about his weakness. You are the PR person for your husband. Represent him to the world as the most wonderful gift that God has given you. He will love you so much for that.

c) sexually. This is a topic that may not be made clear to young wives so I want to get it out in the open. Your husband will trust you to meet his needs sexually. So be faithful to that. Obviously, do not have an inappropriate friendship with a guy. But more than that...have sex when your husband needs to have sex. You won't understand ever how he feels about sex. Men are mysteries to me in that area. But I want Mark to trust me that I will do everything to fulfill that need for him. He will love you forever if you let him know he can trust you to meet that need for him.

d)respect. Your husband needs to trust you that you are going to respect him even when he does not feel like he is worthy of your respect. Think about the reverse...don't you want him to love you even when you do not feel worthy of being loved? Respect your husband out of obedience to God's word. This may be the hardest thing to do.

I wrote her several other things and I will blog about the others, as well.