Saturday, January 21, 2012

Guest blogger today!

Three years ago, I blogged about the incredible transformation of my son, Luke.  God did such a work in my heart when my husband and I went through a period of 6 years of Luke's rebellion and subsequent depression.  It was a turning point in my prayer life.  Luke gave me permission to put one of his emails on my blog.  Not only is it compelling in its message, but it validates the power of God to dramatically change a life. Here are Luke's words.
"Mom,
Alright so the purpose of the list is that we don't lower the historical standard of adulthood simply because we have largely failed as a nation of producing adults.

So with this list in mind, begin to think less about how old someone is and more about maturity. I want to move away from the term  "immature adults"  because that I believe is an oxymoron. Maturity is the mark of adulthood, not age.

Also, I think all of these are necessary for the continuing success of a society as well as that of a nation seeking righteousness and following God's laws and when they fade so does that nation, but these are all biblical standards anyways. The very foundation of a successful society is found in biblical principles of living.


1. Hard work. As a teenager we loved sleep and aimless living. Hard work is critical to becoming an adult. Our current over-emphasis of lawsuits, the corporate theft, and the increasing frustration seen in the Wall Street movement is a result of this point. The ridiculous misuse of the legal system with lawsuits is derived from the "make a quick buck" thinking. The insider trading happens because when you work hard it leads to a profit but it takes longer and sometimes is not as much as we want. When hard work is not a value in your life, you will throw off simple societal restraint in order to get ahead by doing less. Also this "Occupy Wall Street nonsense... quit complaining without a vision and get a job.


2. Be Reliable. This includes being on time and doing what you say you will do. Right now my generation is in the middle of a crisis and everyone is so afraid of commitment that it will continue to get worse. To expect someone to do what they say they will do is more than reasonable. It is the only way things actually get done. To expect someone to be on time and do what they are supposed is critical for a business, school, government, etc. to actually make progress. Not paying bills on time (I understand people lose their jobs and such things happen) but the outstanding debt of our nation and so many bankruptcy's are a mark of immaturity. This is a non-negotiable part of being an adult.


3. Be Reasonable. Be a little patient with people. Think outside of self preservation for 30 minutes a week(I understand this will take some time for most of us). Don't be angry all the time because it rubs off on people. It's amazing the insanity of angry people because they openly admit to having a bad temper, but refuse to actually self-examine why they are mostly mad. They continue to do the same thing and expect a different result.

4. Correction. To be an adult you must be able to receive correction and be able to give it. Our nation has the most "thin-skinned chip on a shoulder attitude" about getting corrected. It's becoming more and more common that instead of receiving correction and improving, we get mad, avoid that person, gossip about them, hold a grudge against them. This attitude shows no prejudice with regard to that person being your boss, your spouse, your parent, etc. This is increasingly alarming. Fights have begun breaking out after basketball games. I think I have read of three or four different ones around the nation in the past two weeks. It is because you have a society that largely doesn't have any respect for anything anymore and this includes our legal system and common compassion. Adults are supposed to be able to give correction. Try and imagine how Ben and I would turn out if we never received correction growing up. That's exactly what is happening right now, with kids left to decide what morality is to them with no actual moral guide.


5. Mentor. Take an active role in the generation below yours. If we just did this one, these other four would never have had to be on the list. However, this was neglected. These first four points have largely been thrown off. Whether you invest into your own kids, or other kids that are in your sphere of influence, helping to instill mature values is critical in young ages for forming healthy competent adults.


That's my list.  I think these are the markers of what an adult looks like. Notice a couple of things.  They do not have anything to do with education, monetary success, social standing, etc. I think these apply for every single class of society. Love you so much mom, and I am so thankful for the values that you and dad taught,but more so you modeled them day after day for decades and set a standard of consistency that I hope to follow. Let me know your thoughts. "
That is my younger son, Luke. I love my sons so much!!!Maybe I can get Ben to do a guest blog...