Sunday, January 15, 2012

Meltdown

Okay, after 12 days on a perfect diet plan, complete with exercise, the worse happened. I stepped on the scales and I had gained 2 pounds! So I did what most of us would do, I threw that diet out the window, did not go to the gym and stayed mad. What is the correct response to utter failure?
We all experience disappointment in ourselves when we do the exact opposite of what we wanted to change. We quit our diets, we spent money that we shouldn’t have sent, we did not keep up with our plan to study the Bible on a daily basis, etc. We may have made promises to ourselves to break a cycle of sin that has brought us shame and condemnation.
Our response is human. We want to give up. We need to recognize that we were expecting an instant, miraculous change. Think about what the scripture tells us in Hebrews. (Hebrews 12:1) "Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us," Because I am not a runner, I missed that lesson on running. Runners seem to train with patience. They do not expect to run a respectable race the first day out. They have the mentality that they will train until they can run a race and then they train some more. They see the big picture. A race does not end their training. It may be a marker to measure their progress but it is not an end in itself
. My diet is usually like this…I will diet until I lose “x” amount of pounds or fit into a certain size and then I am done. I struggle to see it as a life change. I will not ever eat like that again. The word “quit” should not be in my vocabulary. In Galatians 6:9, it states, “And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not." Today was a new start. God loves to give us new starts.

No comments: