Tuesday, January 10, 2012

I guess since it is my blog, I can change topics again, right? I was thinking today about my new goal of eating healthy and exercising. I am actually doing quite well. Shock! Of course, it has only been 10 days into the New Year. I am forcing my car to drive to the gym this week and ride the treadmill. The reward is that I read a book while I am exercising. The purpose of this blog today, in case it helps even one person, is to analyze why I think I am being successful. The biggest reason is because I am allowing accountability in my life. Do you have any idea of the power of accountability? In 1 Thessalonians 5:11 it says "Therefore encourage one another and build each other up." In Ecclesiastes 4:9-12, “It is better to have a partner than go it alone. If one falls down, the other helps. But if there's no one to help, tough. By yourself you are unprotected. With a friend you can face the worst. Can you round up a third? A three-stranded rope is not easily snapped." We tend to want to keep our goals a secret. Obviously if we fail, there is no face to lose if we have not shared our goal. I ask my students to send me 5 goals for the second semester of school. I also ask them to mention the person that will hold them accountable for that goal. It increases the chances of their success if they have asked someone to hold them accountable. If one of your goals is to get out of debt in 2012, the last thing you want to do is to admit to a trusted friend the amount of debt you may have. However, the power of partnering with another person to conquer that debt would be amazing. If my goal is to begin to have a quiet time of reading the Bible and praying every day, I need to let another friend know this. Maybe a goal for someone might be to start a blog! Tell a friend to nag you. Allowing accountability is like opening the windows and allowing lots of sunlight to enter your house. Let the sun (Son) hit every room this week!

No comments: