Sunday, January 22, 2012

noble women

I am wanting to continue in my marriage thoughts.  I want to share more about the role of a wife in marriage.  I am going to use some scripture from Proverbs.  I have read many lessons, blogs, and devotionals on these famous passages of scripture. While I will remain true to the scripture, I want to share things that I have learned from thinking about these verses and applying them to my marriage.

Starting with Proverbs 31:10, "A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies."

 The connotation is that a wife with strong character is a rare find, not an everyday occurrence. She is worth far more than rubies. Let's start with the ruby part.  I do not know a lot about rubies.  I googled "rubies" and I was shocked to discover that a clear, transparent, and faultless ruby with a uniform deep red color is at the present time the most valuable precious stone known!  The writer of Proverbs is stating that when we are a noble woman, our value is immeasurable to our husband.  We are more valuable to our husband than any other thing. That is a tall order.

 Let's talk about the word noble and see if we have a prayer:) The definition of noble is a person of noble birth or rank; imposing; magnificent; of an exalted moral character or excellence.  Did you see what I saw?  Nobility has something to do with our birth.  To be born a son or daughter of a king gives us qualities of exalted character or excellence.  We act different when we a part of a noble heritage. I don't know about you, but I know that I act different when I realize that my Saviour is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.  I will hold my head up a little higher when I remember that my Father owns the "cattle on a thousand hills."  I need to be reminded that in Psalms 45:11, "The king is enthralled by my beauty." I could go on and on but the point is that when I act like the daughter of the King, I will be a wife of noble character.

In Proverbs 12:4, "A wife of noble character is her husband's crown, but a disgraceful wife is like decay in his bones."  The highest challenge for me, the life-long challenge for me is to be a wife of noble character. Notice that I am not doing this for my benefit, but for Mark's benefit.  I cannot do this to receive anything.  Mark is the one that walks around wearing a crown.  We need to know this from the beginning.  Remember a couple of blogs ago, I warned you that marriage is not what you think and yet it is so much better than you think. Continue with that verse.  "A disgraceful wife is like decay to his bones." Some versions state that a disgraceful wife is like cancer.  Strong words but you can you see the truth in them.  We all know someone who is so negative and ungrateful that she causes her husband to slump his shoulders a little more everyday under the weight of her poison comments. My desire for Mark is to see him grow, not see him decline.

 In Proverbs 18:22,"He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the LORD."  Again this last promise is all about Mark and what I can add to his life.  I can be his highest joy on this earth, his greatest blessing.  A blessed, happy husband who thinks, even in a small way, that I am a good thing that God gave him is a man that I will love being married to.  I want Mark to feel that God has "favored" him with a wife and not cursed him with a weight to carry around for the duration.

Begin today to become a woman of "noble character." Immerse yourself in the word to grow in your knowledge of your nobility.  Speak often to the Father to deepen your relationship with Him. Walk proudly and boldly before the throne of grace and ask him to transform your thinking if it is skewed about who you are.  The verse that says "Seek ye first the kingdom of heaven and his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you,"  means that you have to be seeking God before you seek the husband you are praying for. Tomorrow I have a R rated blog. Women only need to read my blog for awhile:)