Wednesday, January 18, 2012

husband-marriage

Yesterday I left off with a promise to try to write to any males in my blogging audience. I am most assuredly not qualified to speak about the topic of being a great husband.  However, I can tell you the things about Mark that make me fall more in love with him everyday.

In  Ephesians 5:25, "Husbands, go all out in your love for your wives, exactly as Christ did for the church-a love marked by giving, not getting.  For Christ's love makes the church whole. His words evoke her beauty. Everything he does and says is designed to bring out the best in her.".” In Ephesians 5:23 it states "The husband provides leadership to his wife the way Christ does to his church, not by domineering but by cherishing."  Wow, a tall order!  It seems unattainable. I don't feel worthy of that kind of love. Come to think of it, I don't feel worthy of Christ's love either. What a gift of grace.

I believe the secret to being this kind of husband is to spend his life trying to know Christ better.  I am not sure how a husband can love his wife exactly the way Christ loves if he does not know Christ.  That is what Mark has tried to do over our 33 years of marriage.  He has tried to know Christ more deeply so in turn he understands how to love me more deeply.

Mark's love is characterized by giving...except during a football game:) Mark fights for me.  Husband can't fight for their wives on their terms or give on their terms.  Mark has to fight for me in ways that matter to me.  He tries to serve me in a way that shows he understands what is important to me, not necessarily to him. 

 Mark sits on the couch with me every morning and prays with me.  He makes my coffee everyday and brings my coffee mug filled each morning. He dances with me when the slow song plays at the end of the movies. He provides leadership, but in a humble way.

I believe that Mark has been a great role model to our sons and more importantly our sons know Christ and put him first in their life, In turn, they are the best husbands! I love to see how my sons are devoting their lives to bringing out the best in my daughter-in-laws.

Mark says that this is not my strongest blog because I am talking too much about him. However, this is just who he is. I am married to an awesome guy!