Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Do you possess grit?


I have been thinking a lot lately about grit. In educational circles, it is discussed how necessary grit is to the success of learning. Grit is a more important quality to possess than higher IQ or supportive parents.  Yep, grit.  Do you know the definition of grit?

noun form:
1. abrasive particles or granules, as of sand or other small, coarse impurities found in the air, food, water, etc.
2. firmness of character; indomitable spirit; pluck.
Or the adjective form: 
1.  containing or resembling grit
2. courageously persistent
3.  having qualities of tough uncompromising realism
  grit one's teeth, to show tenseness, anger, or determination by or as if by clamping or grinding the teeth together.

To make changes in my life, I need grit.  For example, I am in the midst of adding a lot of exercise to my life.  I began working out with weights in January.  In March, Mark and I began bike riding with another couple. That is where grit comes in.  I have not reached the point where riding a bike for 15-20 miles is fun.  Only grit is carrying me through the bike ride. On Monday nights, Mark and I are taking country western dance lessons.  I am a terrible dancer and I want to quit.  Again, grit is seeing me through dance lessons.
You ask why are you torturing yourself? Because there is a reward ahead for each of these activities. I have seen an enormous amount of improvement with lifting weights. I actually look forward to the class on Monday and Wednesday nights. I see in my future,bike riding with my grandson at River Legacy. Obviously, if I ever learn how to dance, there is a lot of dancing with my sweetie.
When nothing seems to help, I go and look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it - but all that had gone before. -Jacob Riis

I love this quote. It reminds me that improvement will not show up on day 1 or even day 21.  But one day I will wake up and think, "Hey, I am an active person!" Without a doubt the same principal applies to growing your marriage.  When we start being obedient to God's word and serving our mate and giving respect to our husbands, there is not an immediate change. We want to throw our hands up and say, "There, I tried God's way.  It doesn't work." Well, that is where grit comes in. 

Same thing with the discipline of reading your Bible everyday and talking to God through prayer.  You will probably not notice the change in your life over a week.  But after a year and then five years and then thirty years, you will feel stronger and more equipped to make a difference in your world.
The main reason I desperately need grit in my life is because if I finish strong, there is such an eternal reward ahead. Thanks for reading this blog. I am praying for you right now.
James 1:12   Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.