Friday, February 3, 2017

Goals for this Year

“Always remember what is written in that book of law. Speak about that book and study it day and night. Then you can be sure to obey what is written there. If you do this, you will be wise and successful in everything you do.”
‭‭Joshua‬ ‭1:8‬ ‭ERV‬‬
I would love to be wise and successful in everything that I do in 2017. I know that the only way to do this is to know God's Word. The only way to know God's Word is to read it often. The incredible thing about this is that we all have iPhones and iPads and internet connections at our fingertips. We spend a lot of time looking at our phones and iPads. Spend part of that time reading the Bible. We can read God's Word in the morning, during lunch, at the doctor's office, when we first get off work, etc.
I encourage you to pick an app, like YouVersion, and pick a plan to read. I shudder to think that if I had not chosen this path many years ago, I may have made totally different decisions. Trust me, I made a lot of bad decisions. However, continually keeping God's Word in front of me gave me a better chance at making the best decision.
The other part of this verse says to "speak about this book." Share what you read in God's Word. Analyze what it means during Sunday morning small groups or weekly Bible studies. If you are not attending either one, make that a goal for 2017. Don't keep it to yourself. Talk about it all the time so that others will start thinking that you really love the Word and live by it!
In less than two weeks, the new year will be here. Set goals for 2017 that are radically different from last year. Pray before you begin and ask God to help you set goals. When 2016 began, I had no idea all the things that would happen...some good and others not so good. Can you imagine how thankful I am that I was trusting in the Lord this past year and not leaning to my own understanding?
None of us can fathom what this year will hold. Events that must be bathed in wisdom and prayer. Get ready. The new year begins whether we are ready or not.  

No comments: