Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Sometimes God purposely says NO

“A few days later, Jesus went out to a mountain to pray. He stayed there all night praying to God. The next morning he called his followers. He chose twelve of them and called them apostles. These are the ones he chose:
Judas, the son of James, Judas Iscariot (the one who turned against Jesus).”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭6:12-13, 16‬ ‭ERV‬‬
Couple of things to notice here. Jesus stayed up all night praying. We have trouble talking to God for 5 minutes!
He was seeking wisdom about a major decision to choose his 12 apostles. These men would follow him around for the next three years and Jesus would pour into them. He was picking his pit crew. He needed his Father's counsel to choose these friends. So many times, I make decisions without a lot of prayer.
Were you surprised that after an all night prayer session, God allowed him to choose the "wrong" friend in Judas? This was by divine plan, not by accident. I think that we get confused when God purposely allows a terrible thing to happen to us. We have a rebellious child even when we are following the Lord. Someone that we loved dies prematurely. A friend betrays us. The finances just don't work out. Our job just does not pay enough and the money is always short. We feel like we will never be able to retire and we are getting tired.
Our thinking has to be constantly analyzed and see if it agrees with His word. He asks us to be happy and rejoice when life is tough. Be nervous if life is a bed of roses because that is not what Jesus experienced and God loved his Son so much. He allowed pain and discomfort and poverty and rejection in his beloved Son's life. Listen to what He says in the book of Luke.
“You can be happy then and jump for joy, because you have a great reward in heaven. The ancestors of those people did the same things to the prophets. “But how bad it will be for you rich people, because you had your easy life. How bad it will be for you people who are full now, because you will be hungry. How bad it will be for you people who are laughing now, because you will be sad and cry. “How bad it is when everyone says nothing but good about you. Just look at the false prophets. Their ancestors always said good things about them.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭6:23-26‬ ‭ERV‬‬
These verses make me stop and think if my requests are in line with what God wants for me. I want riches. I do not want to be hungry. I want a life of laughter. I want everyone to say good things about me. I want God to be my Santa Claus and give me everything I want all the time.
Next time, God answers our prayer with a no, rejoice and praise God and be thankful. His plan for us is to make us more like His Son and not more like the world.

No comments: