Sunday, February 19, 2017

Life Verse

One of my favorite things to do is search for devotional plans in You Version. After almost 40 years of reading through the Bible, I am reluctant to give up that habit. However, I want to add to that other Bible studies.
After I read my Bible, I take a minute to read a day from one of my devotional plans. One of my favorites is Simplify Your Life by Bill Hybels. I have read through this one many times. He suggested that everyone needs a life verse to live by.
This is his verse.
“Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭15:58‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Powerful verse to memorize and digest over and over again. I have a different life verse.
“And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭12:2‬ ‭NKJV‬‬
I have said over and over again, if the world does it one way, I will determine to live it the opposite way. If the world values money and what it brings, I want to devalue money in my life and remember that it will never bring me joy. If the women of the world dress one way, especially to gain attention, I will pick a different way. If the world worships HGTV, I need to shy away from decorating all the time by their standard. If the world is addicted to Facebook, I will turn off the sound of it in my life. Am I success at this all the time? Gracious no! But it is a life verse that guides me when I am losing track of "what is good and acceptable and the perfect will of God."
I agree with Bill Hybels. Pick a life verse. Let it guide your decisions. You will find over the years, that you start to live by that verse. The Word transforms you and this verse will bring changes if you meditate on it and try to apply it. If you are not sure what to choose for a life verse, google "life verse." Pray about God guiding you to pick a great verse to live by.

No comments: