Wednesday, June 11, 2008

How to Get to Know Yourself

"O LORD, you have searched me and you know me." Psalms 139:1. Have you ever said, "I don't even know who I am?" There is a lot of truth to that statement. I don't think anyone really knows fully who they are. Thank goodness that God truly knows us, inside and out. So before you proceed any further, ask God to help you discover who you really are. You need his wisdom, not your own limited understanding.
There are many factors which make up who we are. I do not feel qualified to give anyone counsel. I'm sure that someone else's blog can help you with this.:):):) However, the book (remember Two Dates or Less?) lists some questions to ask yourself. I will put my favorites here.
1. Who is the most important person in your life and why?
2. What is your life's dream?
3. Who makes you angrier than anyone else and why?
4. Who makes you feel loved more than anyone and why?
5. When do you feel most afraid?
6. How important is money to you? Do you need a certain level of income to feel secure?
7. What is the role of God in your life?
8. How important is food in your life? Are you healthy in your approach to food? (only girls may understand the need for this question!)
9. Do you think of yourself as an emotionally healthy person?(this is where some people may not realize that they are emotionally unhealthy and need to get well before pursuing ANY relationship)
10. How do you approach conflict? Hide? Avoid? Confront?
I love these questions!!! Spend a long time thinking about how your answers to these questions. I think married couples, including myself, would benefit from self-analysis. This is not just for singles. When God reveals a painful area, we need to hear His voice on the subject and not listen to the voice of the Liar, Accuser, Satan himself. I am certainly not saying to wait until you are perfect until you marry. Mark would have never gotten married. Just kidding. NONE of us would have gotten married.
Tomorrow is my favorite part...10 must-haves and then Friday is 10 can't-stands. Or should I give you a day to examine yourself and then tell those? No way. You are dying to know, aren't you? Okay, Thursday it will be.

3 comments:

Melissa McGee said...

Love this! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and giving us a framework to examine ourselves. And, I think you give great counsel...

Unknown said...

Agreed. You have great wisdom for couples and singles. I'm comin back for more!!

Cherish Cooper said...

Loove this. I agree with Lynn... So wise... : )