Thursday, May 16, 2019

Do You Live in Slavery?


I made a commitment when I retired to go once a week to The Prayer Room. God is so kindly showing me that he wants to clear up some misunderstandings in my relationship with him.  The minute I sit down, I can’t help but weep because I feel the Lord saying, “I love you, Pat Cooper! I don’t love you for anything that you do or have done. You did not earn my love. Let’s sit and talk and laugh together. “ It has been the best time ever!!!

“We have freedom now, because Christ made us free. So stand strong in that freedom. Don’t go back into slavery again.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭5:1‬ ‭ERV‬‬

Many Christians, including myself, constantly fight against the temptation to live in slavery...slavery to serve, slavery to perform, slavery to please, etc. I grew up in amazing family that turned on the lights at church every time there was an event. My dad read the entire Bible every year, gave generously, served faithfully, and prayed on his knees until his wobbly knees gave out and the Lord took him home at age 90. As he is now in the “great cloud of witnesses,” I feel his whispers to me...”Pat, I am here in the presence of Jesus and he loves me more than I could have ever comprehended. The blood of Jesus covers me and not my acts of obedience and service.”

Luke used to tell me that talking to God is like coming in from the field after a day of planting or harvesting. God invites you to sit down and drink a glass of sweet, refreshing tea and wants to hear all about the day. No agenda. No “to do list.” No criticism because of what you did not get done. Just sitting and talking. 

Don’t waste another day living in slavery! The sweetness of just sitting with the Lord surpasses every other thing that the world could offer. 

No comments: