Thursday, May 16, 2019

Do You to Have the Heart of David

“But you are not like my servant David. He always obeyed my commands and followed me with his whole heart. He did only what I accepted.”
‭‭1 Kings‬ ‭14:8‬ ‭ERV‬‬

I have always been interested in the way God constantly describes King David. “He always obeyed my commands and followed me with his whole heart.”

But he did not always obey! He did something really wretched! Not only did he take Bathsheba when she was married to another man but then he killed her husband! These are pretty big deals in my eyes.

Then David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the Lord.” Nathan said to David, “The Lord will forgive you, even for this sin. You will not die.”
‭‭2 Samuel‬ ‭12:13‬ ‭ERV‬‬

Later, David was prideful. He asked Joab to “count his kingdom.” Joab warned him not to but David did it anyway.

“David felt ashamed after he had counted the people and said to the Lord, “I have sinned greatly in what I did! Lord, I beg you, forgive me for my sin. I have been very foolish.””
‭‭2 Samuel‬ ‭24:10‬ ‭ERV‬‬

He was a terrible parent. He refused to see his son, Absalom, for a long period of time until Joab called him out. Then Absalom, tried to take over the kingdom! He would not write a best seller on child raising.

The difference in David’s life and the other kings and rulers that followed was simply the heart of David.  Carefully notice how he reacted when God convicted him of his sin. David knew that because God cared for  him so much, his discipline was out of love not condemnation. When we sin, there will be two responses.  The enemy condemns, not convicts.

“The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.”
‭‭John‬ ‭10:10‬ ‭NIV‬‬

“For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.”
‭‭John‬ ‭3:17‬ ‭NIV‬‬

My heart’s desire is that he says that Pat Cooper’s life was well-done and pleasing to him. At first glance, someone may read that and say this, “Who do you think you are? You are not without sin.” Yep. I’m wretched. I can’t write a Psalm like King David. I am not sure anyone would ask me to write a best seller on child-rearing. My kids were transformed by God’s kindness and grace and not by great parenting skills. I’m so ordinary.

But it’s going to be my heart that he is observing. When he corrects me, it’s because he loves me and pours out his grace on me, underserved grace, unmerited grace. If I listen to the enemy, I lose hope. That’s because he lies and steals my joy and accuses me. Whose voice will I listen to? I’d be a fool to listen the lies of the enemy.

“But“He is my God, the Rock I run to for protection. He is my shield; by his power I am saved. He is my hiding place, my place of safety, high in the hills. He is my savior, the one who rescues me from the cruel enemy. I called to the Lord for help, and he saved me from my enemies. He is worthy of my praise!”
‭‭2 Samuel‬ ‭22:3-4‬ ‭ERV‬‬

He is so incredibly worthy of my praise! He is not looking for a sinless life. David messed up a lot. I mess up so much. But he will be looking at a heart of obedience and not perfection. When I call on him for help, he will save me and rescue me.

No comments: