Monday, June 17, 2013

Deep down, I knew this day would come. It was only a matter of time.  I am a teacher.  I love to teach.  I will explode if I am not teaching something...anything.

Since my last blog post, I have made some significant changes in my life.  Some are related to my overall health and outward appearance. Others have to do with some inward changes. I am writing about them with the hopes that it will be of benefit to someone who needs to make similar changes in their life, as well.  In no way am I acting like I have it all together. I am the least "all-together" person I know! I am just brave enough to say some things out loud that, perhaps, need to be said.

I will write about the changes to my outward appearance. In the past year, I have lost about 35 pounds.  I have been trying to lose weight for years, literally years. I am close to my weight that I was at the time of my marriage. In fact, I can fit into my wedding dress. I lift weights 2-3 times a week. I ride bikes with my husband.  I am beginning a running program. I do not even recognize myself!!! I am in total amazement and complete gratitude to God. I thank him everyday that he was not happy with me in my unhealthy state.

Whether you are a believer or not, reality is that we are blessed with a body to walk around in for as long as we live on this earth. It is on loan to us. Most of my life, I trashed my body. Most of America can identify with that. Some of us abuse our body with too much alcohol.  There are others who abuse their body with unnecessary drugs. Hear me when I say that I am not casting a stone of judgement!  For years, my abuse was too much food and the wrong kind of food. 

These abuses all stem from the same problem.  I want what I want and I want it now. We are not willing to give up our rights to our body.

However, in Corinthians it clearly states
1 Corinthians 6:19-20
You should know that your body is a temple for the Holy Spirit that you received from God and that lives in you. You don’t own yourselves. God paid a very high price to make you his. So honor God with your body.

I could quote verse after verse about giving up our rights to ourselves and they all point to the same fact. We have been given this body on loan. It is not ours to trash. Another verse that God kept bringing to my heart is found in Romans, chapter 12.

Romans 12:2
Don’t change yourselves to be like the people of this world, but let God change you inside with a new way of thinking. Then you will be able to understand and accept what God wants for you. You will be able to know what is good and pleasing to him and what is perfect.

Romans 12:2 has always been a favorite verse. I cannot count the times I have said "If the world does things one way, I will do it the other way." However, for years I chose to eat the same way as the world around me. Unfortunately, I got the same results as the people around me.  Most of America is overweight and out of shape.  Why was I mimicking their ways unless I wanted to look just like them?

I want to do a series of blogs on "not conforming to this world but being transformed by the renewing of your mind." I believe that we will come to see that as we do things different from the world, we will prove to ourselves and others that God's way are so perfect and meant for our good.


No comments: