Friday, June 21, 2013

Learn From Your Past Mistakes

 



Proverbs 16:20 (ERV)

 Good things happen to those who learn from their experiences, and the Lord blesses those who trust him.
It never ceases to amaze me how the Bible has an answer for all of life's issues. As I am contemplating on what to write about today, I realized that this verse is a golden nuggett of truth for those who want to lose weight and regain their health. This verse is stating the simple truth...change what you've done in the past if you want to change your future.
I teach 8th grade Algebra. Best job in the world!!! I try to teach a short lesson every year on "3rd alternative thinking." Many of my students want to make a better grade and ask me if there is bonus work to improve it. You can imagine that I am not happy with this request. They want a quick fix to a larger problem...lack of effort.  I explain that most people would like to use the third alternative when they want to change their grades(or their weight). Problem is...there is no third alternative. It doesn't exist.
The first alternative is to stick with the same behaviour and get the same result. The second alternative is to change your behaviour and get different results.  Most of us deceive ourselves into thinking that we can continue with our same behaviour and get different results(this is what I call the third alternative). This is not possible!
At one point in my life I weighed 80 pounds more than what I weigh now! I lost a lot of opportunities to swim with my children, ride bikes with my children and just enjoy life more. I finally realized that unless I changed, nothing would change.  I literally thank God everyday that he is allowing me a second chance to swim and ride bikes with my grandsons. How incredible is that?
I have spent the last three blogs on "transforming your mind "without naming a diet plan or an exercise plan. That is because unless you get your head on straight and quit looking for the quick fix, you will not achieve your goals. I have tried in the past to lose wieght for a trip or a high school reunion or any upcoming event. But unless you committ that you want to stop the endless cycle of losing and gaining, it is just that...a quick fix and not a life change.
So before you begin your next diet, examine your motives.  Why are you wanting to lose weight? If it is for life change, then are you willing to change your behaviour for the rest of your life?  I decided(at age 55) that it was worth it to make changes because I would gain so much more than I was giving up.
Next blog, I want to visit some changes that made a difference for me. I will not advertise a diet plan or gym membership. This will be just stuff that worked for me. Until then, ponder this verse:


Proverbs 16:3 (MSG)

Put God in charge of your work,
then what you’ve planned will take place.
And if you still are not convinced that it is time for a change, ponder on this picture:)

No comments: