Monday, June 1, 2015

It's Okay to Be Totally, Incredibly, Overwhelmed Sometimes




“I wish my suffering could be weighed and all my trouble be put on the scales. They would be heavier than all the sand of the sea! That is why my words are so crazy. God All-Powerful has shot me with his arrows. My spirit feels their poison! God’s terrible weapons are lined up against me. (Job 6:2-4 ERV)
I have read through the entire Bible for about 40 years. The seasons of my life are marked by what book I am reading. When it is June 1, then that means I am starting the book of Job. Just like if it is October 1, I begin the New Testament...and in June, I am so excited because I read Psalm and Proverbs. Back to the topic...
Of all the verses, why in the world would I pick these for today? Because right after I read these, I always thank God that he allows us to read about a guy that was crushed...and he lets me hear that it is okay to whine and complain for 40 chapters of the Bible!
To be honest, this morning I do not feel crushed or broken like Job. But when life deals a really hard blow, I know that God does NOT expect me to walk around with a smile on my face and a cheery disposition, acting like nothing is wrong. When Job' s friend gave him wrong information about his suffering, it is okay that Job cried out to them and asked them to just be quiet:).
"I wish you would just be quiet. That would be the wisest thing you could do." (Job 13:5 ERV)
God does not expect us to walk around like robots, mimicking the perfect words to others, telling others that we are "fine." We can grieve. We can lay on the floor and cry. We can sob while we are talking to God and tell him how depressed and hopeless we feel. God does not love us any less and he is not disappointed in our lack of understanding of why we are going throughout this suffering. 

However, what Job did was to continue to cry out to the One who does have all the answers. He knew who holds eternity in His hands. And in the midst of his intense pain, he knew that this life on earth is temporary and that there is an eternity and he cries out...
"I know that there is someone to defend me and that he lives! And in the end, he will stand here on earth and defend me. After I leave my body and my skin has been destroyed, I know I will still see God. I will see him with my own eyes. I myself, not someone else, will see God. And I cannot tell you how excited that makes me feel! (Job 19:25-27 ERV)"

No comments: