Friday, May 22, 2015

Fake Kindness?


When you’re kind to others, you help yourself; when you’re cruel to others, you hurt yourself. (Proverbs 11:17 MSG)
There have been many articles written about being kinder, gentler and a more Christlike. We do this without actually feeling kind on the inside. We know that our "reputation" depends on us being known as kind. No one wants the "mean" girl reputation. We go all day long holding our temper and having patience with people in the checkout line. We smile and say nice things to strangers.

But I think this verse starts with "how do I treat my husband." Am I kind to Mark all the time? Am I kinder to others at work than I am to Mark? Sometimes at the end of a long day my kindness is all "used up." I think I deserve to be a little snappy because I have spent the whole day being kind to others. Wow, if this describes you like it does me…ouch!

Big truth…if I am not kind to Mark, I am only hurting myself. I am damaging my most important relationship. I am not treating Mark as my teammate that God blessed with me. In fact, if the other part of the day was "fake" kindness because I was worried about what others thought, I should have plenty of "real" kindness left over for Mark:). If there is none left over, then there is a problem with my heart. 

Lord, do open heart surgery on my heart so that my kindness is real all day long, but especially to the love of my life, Mark Cooper

No comments: