Monday, January 22, 2018

Think Long Term When You Suffer

After the death of my sweet dad, I had another life altering event. I slipped on some ice on New Year’s Eve and had a really bad break In my left arm. The surgeon put a metal plate and 11 pins to put my shoulder back together. It was without a doubt one of those events that change you. You learn so much from the Lord that you are thanking Him everyday that He allowed it to happen.
“If we are God’s children, we will get the blessings God has for his people. He will give us all that he has given Christ. But we must suffer like Christ suffered. Then we will be able to share his glory. We have sufferings now, but these are nothing compared to the great glory that will be given to us.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭8:17-18‬ ‭ERV‬‬
I was thinking about the issue of suffering this morning. First of all, let me stress that I do not, by any stretch of the imagination, feel like I’m suffering. I’m sitting in a warm house. I have a sweet family and friends. I have enough food to eat and clothes to wear. I would say that my situation is called “minor” suffering.
I have to sleep sitting up which means I am not getting much sleep. I can’t take a shower for 8 more days(I’m counting). I can’t dress myself or tie my shoes. I’m taking pain pills to handle the pain of my shoulder injury but it is so much better. This little accident is going to cost several thousand dollars that I was not planning on spending. You get the gist. This why I say this is small potatoes in the big picture. All of this will get better.
But I’m thinking this morning about the fact that if I look at every single area of suffering in the light of eternity, it gives it new meaning. When you think long-term, you can handle the momentary problems that come your way(I read this is a devotional by Rick Warren). If we think short-term, we will miss the point.
Whatever difficulty you are facing right now, try very hard not to think short term. Abraham did not think short term, thank goodness. He lived in a tent, for goodness sake. His thinking was for the long haul and his promises were in the future. He awaited a better home in heaven.
I want so much to grow from this small setback. I cannot express how God had such grace to allow me to fall on that ice. He is teaching me to depend on others and accept their help. He is helping me to have a heart of gratitude in all things. I’ve realized that having gratitude blocks out bitterness, jealously, worry, anxiety, etc. It is not possible to have gratitude along with the negatives. Wow! This is blowing my mind!
I think that main thing God is showing me is to just “Be still.” I’ve haven’t been still for a long time. I can hear Him better when I’m still.

No comments: