Saturday, June 4, 2016

Be On Guard

““But be on your guard. Don’t let the sharp edge of your expectation get dulled by parties and drinking and shopping. Otherwise, that Day is going to take you by complete surprise, spring on you suddenly like a trap, for it’s going to come on everyone, everywhere, at once. So, whatever you do, don’t go to sleep at the switch. Pray constantly that you will have the strength and wits to make it through everything that’s coming and end up on your feet before the Son of Man.””
Luke 21:34-36 MSG
i love reading through the gospels and soaking in all the words of Jesus. I think about this one a lot. "But be on guard!" Jesus is saying that to us because he loves us and cares for us. He is clearly warning us that we will be caught off guard if we get swept away by things of this world. We don't like to hear this. I know most Christians close their eyes and ears and go to other topics like love, grace and sweet thoughts. .
I enjoy things of this world as much as anybody...eating, shopping, decorating(the house that will burn up), etc. But I want to maintain "a sharp edge of expectation." I want my thoughts to be laced with eternal things. If I warn my sons of something, I hope they have the good sense to listen. Jesus has put out a warning. I hope I have the good sense to listen.

No comments: