Tuesday, July 1, 2014

A safe place


Psalm 121:3-4

New International Version (NIV)
He will not let your foot slip—
    he who watches over you will not slumber;
indeed, he who watches over Israel
    will neither slumber nor sleep.

One of the truths about God that we find hardest to believe is the fact that he never dozes off and is never caught off guard by an event. If we were at our very best, totally rested, totally focused...we still could be unable to take care of those that we love. Our loved ones could get very sick.  Our friends could be hit by a drunk driver. We could lose our job. The truth is we can be blindsided by an event.
Because we believe that God is like us, we think that He turned his head or took a power nap. As a result, a horrific event happened and he was unable to protect us. However, in Psalms it states that he will never let your foot slip.  What? Never let me stumble? I stumble so often. Life happens even in my best effort to protect myself and my loved ones.
Then what is this saying? I believe that it means that though I stumble, he grabs my arm and pulls me to safety. He is the ultimate security guard. What a comfort to know that when we are caught off guard by tragedy, God saw the entire event and he will walk us through the dark valley. The dark days are still dark. We are humans. We are weak. But he is the powerful protector. He is the body guard on duty 24 hours a day.
In the book of Job, Job cried and complained for about 40 chapters. That makes me feel better when I can't get a smile on my face in the midst of sad times. However, Job believed that God held the trump card. Satan whispers lies to us and says that God cannot take care of us. He tells us that God was sleeping. He tells us that God can't provide for us. He doesn't have the finances. He doesn't have the wisdom.  Satan has so much to gain if you listen to his deceit. Do not give audience to him. He wants to kill, steal and destroy.
Instead, rest in the truth about our Father. He does not slumber! He is right there! He owns the cattle on a thousand hills if your foot is slipping over lack of resources. He has the strength when you don't have the inner strength. He has the answers when you don't have the answers concerning your next step. A body guard like that must cost more than I can afford. Funny thing about his fee…I can't pay for it. Jesus paid the full amount for me.

No comments: