Saturday, April 30, 2016

Don't Feel Like Serving Today, Huh?

“When Jesus finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and went back to the table. He asked, “Do you understand what I did for you?”
John 13:12 ERV
“Be willing to serve each other out of respect for Christ.”
Ephesians 5:21 ERV
i was thinking this morning about why I was struggling to be a servant. I just did not feel like serving anybody. It occurred to me that I was looking at the wrong person as an example of servant hood. I was watching other people and they were disappointing me. They were fragile and selfish just like me!
If if I really want to learn how to serve, the example is Christ. I am not sure how he felt when he put a towel around his waist and with a basin of water in his arms, he began washing feet...dirty, nasty feet. The disciples were unworthy. Jesus was the one who was worthy, not them.
It wasn't like his turn today, their turn tomorrow. He didn't keep a mental checklist like I do. It won't come easy. I don't think that there is a person who has "servant hood" for a spritual gift. But there are people who want to be more Christlike and that means washing feet whenever the opportunity presents itself. I'm pretty sure that I will get that opportunity today.

No comments: