Tuesday, August 5, 2014

How God feels about me

In Psalms 51:3
Going through the motions doesn’t please you,
    a flawless performance is nothing to you.
I learned God-worship
    when my pride was shattered.
Heart-shattered lives ready for love
    don’t for a moment escape God’s notice.


I was over at my 10 month old grandson's house today watching him play with his toys.  I was enjoying seeing him crawl around, pulling up on everything in sight and trying to stand by himself for a few seconds. He is so close to taking that first step.
At lunch time, my son placed little baby bites of chicken, sweet potatoes, cheese and his favorite…blueberries on his tray and Zeph would gobble them up. I was amazed at how easy it was to feed him "normal" food and not have to mash things up for him. After lunch, he would get to play all over again until nap time.

I was so full of love at watching him take those tiny steps toward maturity.   I was amazed and wondered if anyone had grandchildren as delightful as mine.  My grandchildren enchant me.  They have brought to life a heart approaching 59.  Grandchildren do that…make you feel young again.  And then he did it…he turned and spotted me and held out his arms for me. Are there words to describe how this feels?  When he says Pat-pat for the first time, I will start crying as I did when my other grandson said it.

My son said the most profound thing when I remarked how big of a deal that is to see your grandchild turn to you and reach out for you.  He says,"Can you imagine how God feels when he has been watching you do the things he has created you to do and he sees you growing in maturity and then all of a sudden…you turn and notice Him. you not only notice him but you reach out your hands for him to grab you in his strong arms."  Read that again to get a grasp of the way God feels about you.

He is not that impressed when he sees me "going through the motions" of the Christian life.  I am boring him to death when I am busy, busy, busy doing all the amazing things in my own power and strength. I bet he weeps when I say "I am independent now. I don't need you anymore. I'm fine. I grew up to maturity. I am strong without you." If you think for a moment that this is not truth, imagine how I would feel if my grandson say to me,"Pat-pat, I am fine and I don't need you anymore. In fact, I am too busy doing great things so I won't have time to look at you anymore." What a knife through my heart that would be,

Shatter my pride and do whatever it takes to help me realize how much it delights you, Lord, when I turn to you everyday and reach out with weak, powerless arms.

No comments: